Call as PDF:
NCAC – National Digital Collection Project – SEPTEMBER 2016 – MARCH 2018
The National Centre for Arts and Culture (NCAC) in collaboration with the University of Hamburg, Germany, and supported by the Gerda Henkel Foundation, is currently engaged in a project that aims to develop a comprehensive digital archive of the oral collections of the Research and Documentation Division (RDD) of the NCAC which was pioneered by BakariSidibe in the 1950s. The objective is to provide better access to the archival resources for research and publication purposes, to the wider academic public, and local, regional and internationalresearchers. The RDD collection comprises thousands of oral recordings on the folklore, history, migrations and settlements, linguistics, etc. of the Gambia and the sub-region. Whilst some of the collections have been transcribed, translated and digitized, a large part remains to be properly processed. The project therefore, provides an opportunity to further preserve this invaluable collection and make it more useful for research and scholarship.
The NCAC invites Gambian and international researchers, and students interested in academic research on subjects within the scope of the RDD collection to submit applications for small grants/ bursaries to assist them in their work and contribute to valorizing the collections.
Application submissions should include the following details:
- A well structured and presented research proposal of at least 500 words that includes the topic, research problem, methodology of research, expected results/outcomes, significance of the proposed research and how it will add value to the RDD collections in terms of processing existing materials or field work to fill gaps in the collection.
- Research timetable/time frame, and budget not exceeding 1000 Euro for student researchers and 2500 Euro for doctoral candidates and young scientists.
- Letter of institutional affiliation of the applicant,and support of the application.
- Detailed CV of applicant highlighting among other things previous and current research of the applicant.
Deadline for submission
Applications should reach the Director General, NCAC, Gambia National Museum Premises, Independence Drive, PMB 151, Banjul, in hardcopy or via email with the subject “NCAC BURSARY APPLICATION“ to baba_baba_c @ yahoo.com and copied to email@example.com NO LATER THAN 1st May, 2017 at 12.00 hrs.
- Researchers from The Gambia are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Research topics on underrepresented themes and ethnic groups in the RDD collections can provide added advantage.
- The RDD and its archival collections can be visited at the NCAC Fajara premises, behind Guaranty Trust Bank Headquarters,Kairaba Avenue, from 9am – 4pm. Samples of already digitized material are available at the NCAC RDD upon request.
- A copy of all data recorded in the course of research, annotations and any kind of results from data processing must be submitted to the NCAC RDD National Digital Collection in accordance with Gambian law.
- For further enquiries, contact (+220) 9918519 / 6918519 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.